Frequently Asked Questions

I am trans, intersex or gender-diverse: can I come to M Clinic for my testing?

M Clinic is funded to provide services for men who have sex with men. This terminology has evolved to now include those currently identifying as a man, trans-man, trans-woman or a non-binary person, who have sex with other men, trans-men, trans-women and/or non-binary people.

Our service has evolved to become one that host clients of diverse sexuality and gender, however we will not ask of your sexuality on our intake forms because we understand that sexuality evolves over time and differs for every person. Rather, we will ask about who you have sex with to ascertain your eligibility to access the service. We do, however, ask about assigned gender at birth, current identifying gender, and if you are intersex. We also ask if you’ve had bottom surgery if you are a trans-person. This is because we want to ensure we order the right investigations for your sexual health test.

If you are unsure if you are eligible to attend M Clinic or would like information about sexual health services, please call us on 9227 0734.

Why does M Clinic only provide services to men that have sex with other men?

M Clinic is only funded to provide services to “gay men and men who have sex with men at risk of acquiring HIV, sexually transmitted infections and other blood borne viruses”. We are a specialised service, and so we might not be able to give the appropriate care to those outside this demographic. If you are unsure if you fit into this category or would like information about other sexual health services, please call us on 9227 0734.

I am leaving Perth/WA in the next week, should I still get a test here?

It takes approximately a week to get results back from the laboratory from any testing we do, and as such if you are not going to be in the Perth/WA region when these results come back, it may be difficult to provide treatment for any positive results. If you are going away interstate or overseas, or work FIFO (Fly in, Fly out), please call us on 9227 0734 to discuss testing options.

How often should I test?

The more sex you have the more you need to test.
A good rule of thumb is to test every 6-12 months but this can vary depending on your situation.

1) If you regularly have anal sex without condoms it is advised to test every 3 months.

2) If you always use condoms when you have anal sex, then frequency of testing depends on the number of sex partners you have. Here is a general guide:

a. Have a test after you have had sex with 10 different partners
b. Have a test if someone you have had sex with tests positive to an STI
c. Have a test if you notice the following symptoms:
i. Milky or clear discharge from your penis and/or
ii. Pain or discomfort when you urinate

What Should I Do If I Have Symptoms?

Most Sexually Transmissible Infections (STIs) can cause symptoms. Sometimes people don’t experience any symptoms when they have an STI, and sometimes symptoms we think are being caused by an STI are in fact not related at all!

Some common symptoms of STIs include:
• Discharge from your penis or rectum
• Pain when you urinate
• Lumps or sores on or around your penis or rectum
• Rash on your groin or around your rectum
• Rash on your hands, feet or torso

If you have symptoms it is important to seek medical advice.

Who can help me with my symptoms?
•  M Clinic
•  Your General Practitioner
•  Sexual Health Clinics

M Clinic

If you have STI symptoms and would like to come to the M Clinic for a consultation, please call to book an appointment at a time when a doctor is working.

The M Clinic has doctors working at the following times (please note these times can change):
• Tuesdays 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
• Wednesdays 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
• Fridays 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm

GP & Sexual Health Clinics

If you are unable to make an appointment at the M Clinic, it is best to call your General Practitioner or another sexual health clinic.
Other sexual health clinics can be found here.